Treating myofascial trigger points
This course is uniquely designed to be taken alongside our face to face course.
This VLE course has been designed to help teach you to diagnose, and locate, trigger points and their referral patterns in myofascial tissues. You will learn how to use acupuncture to deactivate trigger points, and to apply specific stretches to affected muscles, to restore a patients full range of movement.
This course will provide you an introduction on how to treat trigger points in the neck and shoulder, using acupuncture, and will offer you the theoretical approaches that are used in the Western style management of myofascial trigger points.
It has been uniquely produced for practicing acupuncturists, and offers an insight into the theory, and Western evidence based background, of trigger points. Practical needling sessions will be done under supervision, in a safe and stimulating environment.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
You will be introduced to the basic principles and theory underpinning the principles of trigger point therapy, which was founded on the work of Travell and Simons.
By the end of the blended learning session you will:
- Have developed an understanding of the basics of the western concept of pain
- Have refreshed and revised your understanding of the basic muscle/tendon unit, and developed an understanding of diagnosis, location of trigger points.
- Learnt how to apply appropriate needling technique to de-activate trigger points and develop an understanding of appropriate muscle stretching.
- Have a structure for clinical reasoning that is evidence based, and current literature will be explored to review the evidence of efficacy.
- Covered current research, patient trials, and selected case studies will be used to show how trigger point techniques may be integrated into a treatment.
The aims of this online course are to teach already accredited therapists about trigger points (TrP).
- Where do they come from,
- where to find them and recognise them
- How to treat these painful ‘knots’ in muscles so that pain is relieved.
- To teach understanding about the causes of trigger points, as well as effective and safe ways to treat trigger points.
It’s important to understand that trigger point treatment alone is not enough. The local treatment of trigger points needs to be integrated with education of the patient.
The focus of this qualification is on the effective diagnosis and treatment of trigger points, including diagnostic methods, questioning techniques and time management.
Improved training skills; You will learn effective ways to observe, diagnose and treat trigger points in an engaging and informative way for you the participant.
Increased confidence: The course will help you develop the confidence and ability to treat trigger points.
Professional development: The course will equip you with the skills and knowledge required to treat trigger point, that meet the needs of your patients.
Personal satisfaction: Completing this training course will give you a sense of personal achievement and fulfilment.
It's valid for
Its a level
It's valid for
The course has been uniquely devised for practising and final year therapists of all disciplines, who hold professional insurances that will cover them for the use of acupuncture within their scope of practice, and who have an interest in developing and enhancing their clinical skills.
- Acupuncturists (BAcC, BMAS, ATCMA etc.).
- Osteopaths (Dry needling).
- Chiropractors (Dry needling).
- Physiotherapists (AACP).
A working knowledge of acupuncture (any particular style) is required.
Prepare to show off your brilliance!
Our online questions will challenge you after each lesson, giving you the chance to prove your mastery with wit and humor.
We’ve designed each set of questions to push you farther, sharpening your abilities and enhancing your learning experience.
The course is typically learned over 1 day, depending on your mode of study and your pace as a learner.
You will receive a certificate of CPD attendance upon successfully completing the course. We send you an e-certificate electronically for your files.